BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

7/21/08

My Near Death Experience

This past weekend my sister and I went canoeing on the Ninguagua river in Lebanon, Missouri. I did it once before with my mom, so I wasn't too worried, but.... this time I got a little too close to death.
We had gotten about half way down the river, and anyone who's ever done it before knows that it takes most of the day to get all the way down. The river had split for a while, so we came up to where it met again and there was a lot of traffic, logs and brush to try and navigate through, plus the current was VERY strong at that point. We went into a bit of a spin, and then flipped. This normally would not be any big deal, except that this time I got caught under the canoe. Wow. I was under the water trying to get up and when I realized I wasn't, I looked up and saw the canoe on top of me. That's when I started to freak out. It felt like forever went by when the next thing I new I was holding on to someones canoe trying to ketch my breath. I have no idea how I got there. Earlier in the day we had past by this family, a mom and dad and two very young kids maybe aged 4 and 6. Their canoe had flipped a little bit and the kids were very scared and crying. It was all I took not to cry myself. I just saw my own kids in them. Their mom was trying to calm them down as they tried to gain control. They had life jackets on so they really were very safe, just very scared. Anyway, it was quite an eventful weekend. It kinda makes you rethink things and realize the wonderful things you've got in your life.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you came out of the trip ok! You are much braver than I am!
Liz